Recipe type: Entree
Taco Mix is a Colombian food recipe called Cochinita.
- 1 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds of boneless pork shoulder
- 1 achiote seed paste tablet
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- Salt to taste
- Habanero chili sauce
- Corn tortillas
- 1 t Red Wine vinegar
- Boil the onion and bay leaves for 10 minutes or until fully cooked in a mixture of half Red Wine vinegar and half water, just enough to cover the onion in the sauce pan.
- Put the onion mix in the refrigerator, it should be served cold. This is best done overnight.
- Cut the pork meat in chunks and discard big pieces of fat, leave some fat as it adds to the flavor.
- In a separate container, mix half a cup of Red Wine vinegar, one and a half cups of water, and some salt.
- Add a tea spoon of chicken bouillon to the water mix, and dissolve the achiote paste tablet in it.
- Set tall frying pan in mid-high heat
- Add the pork and the achiote-water mix, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily.
- Pull apart the meat and cook for a little while longer, add a little water whenever necessary to keep the meat covered.
- To each tortilla, add some of the Cochinita, some pickled onions and Habanero sauce. The tortilla should get a little wet with the Cochinita sauce. It should not be dry.