Recipe type: Dessert
Pumpkin Flan is a Colombian dessert recipe called Flan de Calabaza o Panapen.
- 1 cup of boiled and mashed pumpkin
- 2 cups of sugar (1 cup for the flan mix and the other for the caramel)
- 1 can of evaporated milk (13oz –non diluted)
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pumpkin powder or cinnamon
- In a blender, mix the evaporated milk, pumpkin, 1 cup of sugar, 5 eggs, 1 tsp. of vanilla, and 1 tsp of pumpkin powder or cinnamon. You can add more cinnamon or pumpkin powder depending on how you’d like the flan to taste.
- Pre-heat oven at 350' along with a larger pan (larger than the 8” round dish you will be using for the flan) filled with at least an inch of water.
- To make the caramel, warm the last cup of sugar until it is golden brown. Do not let the sugar burn, as it will sour the flan. Once you have mixed all the ingredients and browned the sugar, coat the bottom of the 8” round dish you will use for the flan with the caramel. Afterward, pour in the flan mix into the 8” dish and place this dish into the larger pan filled with an inch of water. After about 45 minutes, check the flan by inserting a knife in the center. If the knife is clean, the flan is done.