Recipe type: Appetizer
Ceviche is a Colombian appetizer recipe with fish.
- 1 pound fresh skinless white ocean fish fillets, cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 1½ cups freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more if needed
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, diced
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped (or raw)
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few leaves for garnish
- ½ cup chopped, pitted green olives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- Salt (to taste)
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine fish, lime juice, and onion. Be sure the fish is covered with lime juice; add more if necessary. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until fish no longer looks raw when broken open, at least 4 hours. Drain in a colander.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, olives, and oil. Add the fish and orange juice; stir to combine. Season with salt. Cover, and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- Just before serving, add avocado, and stir gently, being careful not to break up pieces. Garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve with tortilla chips.