Recipe type: Dessert
Caramel Flan is a Colombian food recipe for custard called Carmelite Flan.
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Place eggs, sweetened condensed milk, water and vanilla in a blender jar.
- Blend until well mixed and frothy, 30 to 45 seconds. Then set aside.
- Melt sugar over medium-low heat in small skillet, stirring constantly, until caramelized (sugar melts and turn light brown).
- Pour egg mixture on top of caramelized sugar; equal amounts in cups.
- Set custard cups in a larger pan and pour hot water into the larger pans to come halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
- Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill completely in refrigerator.
- To serve, run a thin knife or spatula around the rim of each flan to loosen. Then, turn custards out on individual dessert plates, with caramel on top.